Follicular unit transplant | the “strip”
A classic technique that is still relevant in some cases.
The FUT technique, (for follicular unit transplantation) is a technique based on the removal of a strip of scalp, containing several thousand FU. The technique is obviously faster and better suited to larger baldness. However, this procedure entails a higher risk of scarring, a risk that can nevertheless be reduced thanks to the latest suture techniques.
by Dr Claude Aharoni
Transplant by indirect extraction
Often criticized because it is not well known, the FUT hair transplant technique has changed and is now an extremely efficient technique in terms of the number of hairs that can be extracted and re-implanted during an operation. Also known as strip grafting, FUT (Follicular Unit Transplantation) makes it possible to remove approximately 7500 follicular units.
FUT | Follicular Unit Transplant by C.H.T
- FUT remains the most widely practiced hair transplant technique in the world for nearly 40 years.
- This technique consists of cutting a strip of scalp at the top of the nape of the neck (donor area) 1.5 cm to 2 cm high and 15 to 25 cm wide.
- Only a plastic surgeon is authorized to perform this removal, on the understanding that it is a purely surgical procedure.
- This procedure, like other hair removal techniques, is performed under local anesthesia. Once the strip is removed, it is given to technicians and/or nurses, highly specialized in cutting and sorting grafts.
- As a reminder, hair is harvested from the back of the head because this hair is genetically programmed to never fall out. The grafts thus cut will give place to follicular units containing 1, 2 or 3 bulbs. 1, 2 or 3 hairs.
- These follicular units once cut and sorted according to their size (number of bulbs) will be re-implanted generally on the top of the head (anterior part) or on the tonsure (vertex) according to the patient’s needs.
A recent suture technique called trichophytic suture allows the hair to grow back through the scar, making it totally indistinguishable.
FUE ASSISTED (exclusively by CHT) is a very recent innovation, at the forefront of technology in manual FUE.
Make an Appointment
We guarantee medical excellence and pay particular attention to your well-being and comfort.